Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry with Broccoli
Sweet and savory teriyaki sauce adds great flavor to this quick weeknight stir-fry with tofu and broccoli.
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1" / 2.5cm cubed
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Shallots - 2 bulbs, diced
- Broccoli - 10 oz, florets
- Pineapple - 10 oz, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1 cup
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2 cups
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Slice into 1" / 2.5cm cubes. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, first part of water and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch with second part of water (making sure it’s cold). Pour cornstarch mixture into saucepan and simmer until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Broccoli / Pineapple - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, shallots and broccoli in one container. Store pineapple separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then bell peppers, shallots and broccoli. Saute until vegetables are tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add tofu and continue cooking until tofu is warmed through.
- Pour teriyaki sauce and pineapple over tofu and vegetables. Continue cooking for 1 minute more to let the flavors come together.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Remember to reserve half for Wednesday's meal.)
- Serve stir-fry over rice. Enjoy!
Loved the sauce. Salsa was meh.0 Helpful
Wasn't able to keep it paleo, added rice to bulk it out because wouldn't have been enough for my family, put the peppers on top raw.0 Helpful
Another easy to make weeknight meal. I love pineapple grilled so enjoyed that as an ingredient this week.0 Helpful
The chicken was great. Not a fan of the cucumber and pineapple salad.0 Helpful
Instead of the smoothie, I added canned pineapple to the stirfry and the juice from the pineapple to the sauce. Delicious!0 Helpful
So much prep. So many dirty dishes. And so so boring, even though I thin-skinned sliced the chicken and marinated it for flavor. I also added ginger in the sauce, and red onion in the salsa. Won't be making this again.0 Helpful