Chicken and Vegetable Stir-fry
with pineapple smoothie
Asian Stir-fry Sauce:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1 tsp
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
Chicken and Vegetable Stir-fry:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Shallots - 2 bulbs , diced
- Broccoli - 10 oz , florets
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Stir-fry sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~2/3 cup
- Pineapple, fresh - 12 oz , roughly chopped
- Bananas - 2
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Ice - 1 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Make stir-fry sauce - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, aminos, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, first part of water (portion for the sauce) and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Broccoli / Pineapple - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, shallots and broccoli in one container. Store pineapple separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make pineapple smoothie - Combine pineapple, bananas, coconut milk, ice and water (portion for the smoothie) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add some additional water, if needed, to reach a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Saute until chicken is golden brown on the outside (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of cooking oil to wok and then bell peppers, shallots and broccoli. Saute until vegetables are tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk together second part of water (portion for the sauce) and arrowroot powder.
- Pour stir-fry sauce and arrowroot powder mixture over vegetables. Add chicken back to pan and give it a stir. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced slightly.
- Divide stir-fry between bowls. Enjoy with smoothie on the side.