with pineapple-cucumber salsa / rice
Sweet and savory teriyaki sauce serves as both a marinade and a finishing sauce in this meal that is great whether you toss the chicken on the grill or cook it on the stovetop.
Teriyaki Sauce and Marinade:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Tamari - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Teriyaki sauce and marinade (ingredients listed separately) - 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
Rice (for 2 nights):
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 2 cups
Pineapple and Cucumber Salsa:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Pineapple, fresh - 1 lb , chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 2 tsp , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, Tamari, vinegar (portion for the teriyaki sauce), first part of water and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch with second part of water (making sure it’s cold). Pour cornstarch mixture into saucepan and simmer until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - If marinade is still warm, wait until it is cool enough to touch before marinating chicken. Slice chicken breasts in half and tenderize with a fork. If marinade is still warm, let it cool. Toss with first part of teriyaki sauce (reserve second part). Marinate for 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make pineapple-cucumber salsa - Chop bell peppers, pineapple, cucumbers and cilantro (you can do this by hand or in a food processor if you prefer). Combine with vinegar (portion for the salsa). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C, keeping one part of grill over direct heat and one part over indirect. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Add chicken to direct heat (discard marinade). Sear on each side for ~2 minutes (keep an eye on it to prevent burning). Move to lower heat and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through) with cover closed.
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil, and add chicken to hot grill pan (discard marinade). Sear for ~3 minutes on both sides. Lower heat and then cover with foil, cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for a minute before slicing.
- If rice and / or remaining part of teriyaki sauce were made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Remember to reserve half the rice for Thursday’s meal.)
- Serve chicken over rice. Enjoy with remaining teriyaki sauce and salsa on top.