Grilled Cubano Patties over Cilantro Lime Slaw
with zucchini / pineapple spears
Fire up the grill (or stovetop!) for these pork burgers patties inspired by classic Cubano sandwiches and served over a fresh, tart cilantro lime slaw. While the grill is hot, add some zucchini and pineapple spears to serve on the side.
- Ham, deli-sliced (opt) - 1/4 lb , finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Pork, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Grilled Zucchini and Pineapple Spears:
- Zucchini - 1 lb , sliced into spears
- Pineapple, fresh - 1 lb , sliced into spears
Cilantro Lime Slaw:
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 3 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Make slaw - Tear cilantro leaves and discard stems. Whisk together honey, lime juice and olive oil. Toss with cilantro and coleslaw mix and refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Ham / Garlic - Chop ham and garlic and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Pineapple - Slice zucchini and pineapple lengthwise into spears. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make burger patties - Mix ground pork, ham, garlic, salt and black pepper. Form into 0.5” / 1.3cm thick patties and press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F / 260C, keeping one part of grill over direct heat and one part over indirect. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat. Season with some salt and pepper as the patties cook. Then move patties to indirect heat, and add zucchini and pineapple to direct heat. Continue grilling until patties are cooked through and zucchini and pineapple are tender and have grill marks on all sides, ~5 to 6 minutes more for all components.
- If cooking on stovetop / oven: Brush a grill pan over medium-high heat with some oil, and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Season with some salt and pepper as the patties cook. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done.
- Divide slaw between serving plates. Top slaw with Cubano patties. Enjoy with zucchini and pineapple on the side.