BBQ Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
with baked sweet potato fries
Use your favorite BBQ sauce to flavor up these hearty and filling vegetarian patties. Definitely break out a food processor to make the mixture really stick together! Enjoy with a side of sweet potato fries, and you'll have a delicious weeknight dinner where no one will miss the meat.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb , sliced into fries
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Ketchup - for serving
BBQ Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers:
- Leftover quinoa - 2 cups , cooked ((leftover from Monday))
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed & drained
- BBQ sauce - 2 Tbsp ((pick your fave))
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/8 tsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Mayo, Sour cream, or Greek yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Burger buns - 4 ((get creative and use English muffins or sandwich rolls!))
- Avocado - 1 , sliced
- Tomatoes - 1 , sliced ((choose what you like best for burger toppings))
- Make patties - In a food processor puree quinoa, black beans, BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper. Season to taste before forming into 3/4" (2 cm) thick patties. Refrigerate if not making right away. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make hot sauce aioli - Mix hot sauce with mayo, sour cream, or yogurt. Taste and add more hot sauce as desired. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes - Slice into fries. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 500F (260C) degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in a sheet pan and then cover tightly with foil. Bake for 10 minutes on top rack.
- Place patties on a sheet pan and then brush with cooking oil and salt and pepper.
- After sweet potatoes have steamed for 10 minutes, take them out and toss with olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt. Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes uncovered, giving them a shake midway through. At the same time put the patties in on the bottom rack. Bake the patties for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Toast buns in the last few minutes of cooking. Slice avocados and tomatoes.
- Let everyone assemble their own burgers with as much hot sauce aioli as they want! Finish sweet potato fries with more salt if you want. Serve hot dipped in ketchup.