Vegetable Stromboli with Bell Peppers and Mushrooms
and roasted roma tomatoes
After we first featured a recipe for stromboli many of our Kitchen Heroes said they were surprised by how easy and fun it was to make this stuffed, rolled "pizza" at home. This vegetarian variation calls for a quick extra step - saute the vegetables before putting them in the stromboli. They will release less moisture during cooking that way.
Vegetable Stromboli with Bell Peppers and Mushrooms:
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Tomatoes, crushed - 1 1/2 cups
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Bell peppers, green - 1 , chopped
- Mushrooms, white or brown button - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Eggs - 1
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Parchment paper - for lining pan
- Cheese, shredded mozzarella - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
Roasted Roma Tomatoes:
- Tomatoes, roma - 1 1/2 lbs , halved
- Foil (opt) - for lining pan
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Pizza dough - Take dough out 30 minutes before baking and cover in some flour. Resting dough will make it easier to work with.
- Make sauce - Combine crushed tomatoes with oregano and sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Set out two sheet pans.
- Spray one sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with foil. Toss roma tomatoes with olive oil and Italian seasoning. Spread on the sheet pan. Roast tomatoes until very soft and golden brown, ~30 minutes.
- Once tomatoes are roasting, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for the stromboli) and then bell peppers and mushrooms to heated oil. Saute until vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Line the second sheet pan with parchment paper (check to be sure the brand you are using is approved at high cooking temps).
- Dust a counter with some flour. Roll out pizza dough into an oval shape. Spread sauce in a thin layer (adding too much sauce will prevent the center of the stromboli from cooking all the way through; you can save any extra for dipping the finished stromboli) on the dough, leaving about a 1” / 2.5cm edge on all sides. Top with mushrooms and bell peppers and then cheese. (Or watch video for assembly steps.)
- Brush edges with some of the whisked eggs. Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the dough into a log. Transfer stromboli to the sheet pan and cut slits in the top about 2” / 5cm apart. Brush top with remaining whisked eggs and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 24 to 26 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through (if your dough was thick, it may need a few more minutes to bake).
- When stromboli is done cooking, cut into slices. Serve roasted tomatoes on the side (if you’d like, you can mash them and spoon them onto slices of stromboli). Enjoy!