Asian Quinoa Salad
and cucumbers / oranges / edamame
If your quinoa was already made ahead earlier in the week, this meal can be on the table in minutes and is great for a warm late summer night. Feel free to customize these salads with other toppings, but we love the crunch of cashews and cucumbers and the natural sweetness of oranges.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , green and white parts chopped and combined
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz , chopped
- Oranges, clementines - 6 , segments (sub canned mandarin oranges, drained and rinsed)
- Edamame, shelled - 1 cup
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Cashews - 2 oz
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
Cook quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead on Monday.) Combine quinoa and stock (the portion for the quinoa) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, toasted sesame oil and cooking oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lettuce / Oranges / Edamame - Prep as directed. If using frozen edamame, defrost. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Avocados - Cube avocados.
If quinoa was made ahead and you’d like it warm, reheat in the microwave.
Toss vinaigrette with cucumbers, bell peppers, romaine, green onions, oranges, edamame and avocados. Top with quinoa and cashews. Enjoy!