Mushroom and Bacon Scramble
with spinach salad
Mushroom and Bacon Scramble:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Salsa - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Spinach and Tomato Salad:
- Tomatoes, roma - 3 , chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and fry on both sides until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan add mushrooms, bell peppers and shallots. Saute until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and pour eggs over mushrooms and bell peppers while stirring. Lightly scramble and cook until eggs are to the consistency you want. (Cooking eggs on lower heat yields fluffier eggs.)
- When eggs are nearly finished cooking, in a mixing bowl whisk together paprika, vinegar, honey and oil. Add tomatoes and baby spinach on top. Wait to toss until just before serving.
- Crumble bacon over eggs.
- Serve eggs with salsa and some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy with salad on the side.