Mushroom and Bacon Scramble
with spinach salad
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Bacon - 8 strips
- Salsa - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and fry on both sides until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of bacon grease (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan add mushrooms, bell peppers and shallots. Saute until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and pour eggs over mushrooms and bell peppers while stirring. Lightly scramble and cook until eggs are to the consistency you want. (Cooking eggs on lower heat yields fluffier eggs.)
- When eggs are nearly finished cooking, in a mixing bowl whisk together paprika, vinegar, honey and oil. Add tomatoes and baby spinach on top. Wait to toss until just before serving.
- Crumble bacon over eggs.
- Serve eggs with salsa and some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy with salad on the side.
I added the spinach to the eggs. It was good. Easy weeknight meal0 Helpful
Easy & delicious and kid approved!0 Helpful
I had low expectations but they were totally surpassed. Breakfast burrito convert, here!0 Helpful
Made this for a breakfast, not sufficient for a dinner IMO. Toddler didn't like the peppers, luckily I had made a round of eggs without because I suspected that and had added the spinach into all the eggs so there were veggies.0 Helpful
This was a pleasant surprise! Nixed the salad, put raw spinach into the tortilla, just inside of the sour cream layer. Used an orange Bell pepper, and cut it thin to disguise it into the shedded cheese, which got my kiddo to eat it! I threw in some diced ham because I had it on hand. We all loved it, really tasty!0 Helpful
I loved this. It was fast, easy, and tasty. I skipped making the side salad and just added spinach and chopped tomatoes into my burrito. It worked really well.0 Helpful