Breakfast Burritos with Black Beans and Salsa
with spinach salad
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, gluten-free and burrito-sized - 4
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Cheese, any shredded blend (opt) - 3 oz
- Salsa - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Tomatoes, roma - 3, chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for the burritos) and then bell peppers and shallots with a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and pour eggs over bell peppers while stirring. Lightly scramble and cook until eggs are to the consistency you want. (Cooking eggs on lower heat yields fluffier eggs.) Stir in beans.
- When eggs are nearly finished cooking, in a mixing bowl whisk together paprika, vinegar, honey and oil (portion for the salad). Add tomatoes and baby spinach on top. Wait to toss until just before serving.
- Warm up tortillas according to package instructions.
- Assemble burritos by spreading the insides of tortillas with the first part of sour cream. Fill with eggs / peppers / beans and top with cheese and first part of salsa. Roll to enclose the fillings (you can wrap them in foil which will help them to stay together).
- Serve burritos with second portions of sour cream and salsa in case you want to add more at the table. Enjoy with salad on the side.
Never made this recipe - always tweaking it. But as a base for my experiments it's great! Like many others I skip the salad and add the greens into the eggs.0 Helpful
I added the spinach to the eggs. It was good. Easy weeknight meal0 Helpful
Easy & delicious and kid approved!0 Helpful
I had low expectations but they were totally surpassed. Breakfast burrito convert, here!0 Helpful
Made this for a breakfast, not sufficient for a dinner IMO. Toddler didn't like the peppers, luckily I had made a round of eggs without because I suspected that and had added the spinach into all the eggs so there were veggies.0 Helpful
This was a pleasant surprise! Nixed the salad, put raw spinach into the tortilla, just inside of the sour cream layer. Used an orange Bell pepper, and cut it thin to disguise it into the shedded cheese, which got my kiddo to eat it! I threw in some diced ham because I had it on hand. We all loved it, really tasty!0 Helpful