Breakfast Burritos with Black Beans and Salsa
with spinach salad
This is a variation on a community favorite that was first featured in March 2014. These are as satisfying for dinner as they are for breakfast and can be easily customized with any extra vegetables you have on hand.
Breakfast Burritos with Black Beans:
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Eggs - 8
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, burrito-sized - 4
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Cheese, any shredded blend (opt) - 3 oz
- Salsa - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
Spinach and Tomato Salad:
- Tomatoes, roma - 3 , chopped
- Paprika - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil (portion for the burritos) and then bell peppers and shallots with a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and pour eggs over bell peppers while stirring. Lightly scramble and cook until eggs are to the consistency you want. (Cooking eggs on lower heat yields fluffier eggs.) Stir in beans.
- When eggs are nearly finished cooking, in a mixing bowl whisk together paprika, vinegar, honey and oil (portion for the salad). Add tomatoes and baby spinach on top. Wait to toss until just before serving.
- Warm up tortillas according to package instructions.
- Assemble burritos by spreading the insides of tortillas with the first part of sour cream. Fill with eggs / peppers / beans and top with cheese and first part of salsa. Roll to enclose the fillings (you can wrap them in foil which will help them to stay together).
- Serve burritos with second portions of sour cream and salsa in case you want to add more at the table. Enjoy with salad on the side.