Broccoli, Lentil and Cashew Saute
with rice / curry yogurt
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 1 1/2 cups
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make saute sauce - Whisk together stock, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, curry powder, sugar and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curry yogurt - Combine yogurt, curry powder, lemon juice and honey. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then broccoli and saute until tender but still crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and saute sauce to broccoli and continue cooking until lentils are heated through and sauce is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove wok from heat and stir in cashews.
- Reheat rice if made ahead.
- Serve saute over rice with curry yogurt on top. Add some hot sauce on top if you’d like. Enjoy!
This is one of my favorites! Only just got around to reviewing. So so easy, quick clean up, tastes great, low cal, better than takeout (sauce is reminiscent of panda express mushroom chicken).0 Helpful
delicious flavor. We love a good stir fry, and I love a quick one!0 Helpful
I took the advice of others and increased the sauce. But I didn't double. I just increased it by a third. We loved it!0 Helpful
Added baby corn :-)0 Helpful
Better than takeout!0 Helpful
The sauce took too long to thicken, so the chicken and broccoli were overlooked. I'd double the sauce recipe and thicken it before adding meat/vegetables.0 Helpful