Cashew Chicken with Broccoli
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Broccoli - 12 oz, chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 2/3 cup
- Tamari - 3 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 3 tsp
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Flour, any gluten-free - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 2 oz
- Rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store broccoli in one container. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Whisk together stock, Tamari, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, sugar and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Toss chicken in flour. Add first part of cooking oil to wok. When oil begins to shimmer, add chicken. Saute until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked all the way through; it will finish in the sauce).
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add broccoli and saute until tender but still crunchy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan. Push all ingredients to the sides forming a hole in the middle. Give stir-fry sauce a stir and pour into the hole. Wait for it to bubble and darken before tossing to coat everything in sauce. Cook until chicken is cooked through and everything is coated in sauce, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove wok from heat and stir in cashews.
- Reheat rice if made ahead.
- Serve stir-fry over rice and enjoy!
This is one of my favorites! Only just got around to reviewing. So so easy, quick clean up, tastes great, low cal, better than takeout (sauce is reminiscent of panda express mushroom chicken).0 Helpful
delicious flavor. We love a good stir fry, and I love a quick one!0 Helpful
I took the advice of others and increased the sauce. But I didn't double. I just increased it by a third. We loved it!0 Helpful
Added baby corn :-)0 Helpful
Better than takeout!0 Helpful
The sauce took too long to thicken, so the chicken and broccoli were overlooked. I'd double the sauce recipe and thicken it before adding meat/vegetables.0 Helpful