Thai Stir-Fried Pork and Asparagus
with rice / fried egg
This simple stir-fry with ground pork and asparagus is inspired by a lunchtime favorite in Thailand. Fresh herbs and aromatics are the primary source of flavor in the dish, so feel free to add more, or toss in any cilantro or green onions you have on hand. It's hard to add too many herbs to this dish.
Thai Stir-Fried Pork and Asparagus:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 3/4 cup
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , chopped (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , chopped
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Asparagus - 12 oz , chopped into 1/2" / 1.3cm pieces (sub green beans)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Basil, Thai - 8 leaves , chiffonade (sub Italian basil)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Rice - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Lemongrass / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Limes / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Season pork - Stir shallots, lemongrass, ginger, soy sauce and red pepper flakes into pork.
- Basil - Chiffonade basil.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then asparagus to heated oil. Saute until asparagus is nearly tender, 3 to 6 minutes (depending on thickness). Set aside and return wok to heat.
- Add seasoned pork to wok and cook, stirring frequently, until pork is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Pour off any excess liquid.
- While pork is cooking, heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add second part of oil and then crack eggs into heated oil. Fry eggs to desired done-ness (cook on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides).
- When pork is finished, stir in basil and squeeze half the lime wedges over top. Taste and season with some salt.
- Reheat rice if made ahead (remember to reserve half if doubled for Wednesday).
- Serve pork and asparagus over rice with an egg on top. Use lime wedges and some extra soy sauce and / or hot sauce to season individual plates at the table. Enjoy!