Vegetable Kebabs with Mint Yogurt Sauce
with bulgur / feta / chickpeas
Smarts: Kebabs can be a bit time consuming to assemble. If you're short on time, feel free to just saute the vegetables on the stovetop (a wok works great here).
- Skewers for grilling (opt) - 8
- Bell peppers, red - 1, cubed
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Mushrooms, any whole button - 8 oz
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Bulgur, uncooked - 3/4 cup (sub any grain like quinoa or small pasta shape like orzo)
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, crumbled
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Mint, fresh - 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Skewers - If using wooden skewers, soak them in water first (this will prevent them from burning).
- Cook bulgur - (Skip if already made for Monday.) Combine bulgur with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. If using a sub, follow package directions for cooking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Zucchini - Slice into even cubes. If using skewers, make the cubes large enough that you can easily thread them onto skewers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make mint yogurt sauce - Chop mint and garlic together. Combine mint, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice and cumin. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prep skewers - Thread bell peppers, zucchini and mushrooms (leave them whole) onto skewers.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Whisk olive oil (portion for the kebabs) with Italian seasoning, salt and paprika.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees, leaving one part of the grill with indirect heat. Brush grates with some oil. Place skewers first over direct heat to sear on all sides. Move skewers to indirect heat and cook with the lid closed, until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. When vegetables are tender, brush on all sides with olive oil / Italian seasoning mixture and allow to cook for ~1 minute more.
- If cooking in the oven: Turn on the oven’s broiler and place a rack about 6” / 15cm below heat. Place kebabs on a sheet pan. Brush on all sides with olive oil / Italian seasoning mixture. Slide sheet pan under the broiler and broil, turning kebabs to cook on all sides, until tender and starting to blacken a bit on the edges. This should take 6 to 8 minutes, but watch closely to prevent burning.
- While kebabs cook, toss bulgur with beans, crumbled feta and olive oil (the portion for the bulgur). Season with some salt.
- Serve kebabs with bulgur on the side. Serve mint yogurt sauce over everything. Enjoy!
Easy to make and will make for a nice simple lunch tomorrow. I added red onion to the skewers because I love onions.0 Helpful
The yogurt dressing was FANTASTIC0 Helpful
The whole family LOVED it. Will make 1.5 times the dressing next time.0 Helpful
didn't totally follow the recipe, but what we did came out well!0 Helpful
Added chicken to round the meal out. Yogurt dressing was fantastic, and veggies were great too.0 Helpful
Subbed quinoa. Delicious!0 Helpful