Gnocchi with Bell Pepper Marinara
with lemony asparagus
Give this simple, vegetable-filled marinara a few extra minutes to simmer and develop flavor on the stovetop while preparing gnocchi (potato dumplings) to serve with it. A quick asparagus saute on the side makes this a classic Italian meal that comes together fast.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato sauce (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Gnocchi - 16 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Asparagus - 12 oz, trimmed
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp (sub chopped walnuts or pecans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil (portion for the gnocchi) and then onions and bell peppers. Saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute more. Pour tomato sauce over top and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to keep sauce on a low simmer and continue cooking for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- While the sauce simmers, cook gnocchi according to package instructions.
- Next, heat a skillet or pan over medium heat. Toast pine nuts for 3 to 4 minutes, until fragrant. Set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add asparagus and saute for 4 to 8 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season with some salt and transfer to a serving dish. Top with lemon juice and pine nuts.
- Taste sauce and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sauce over gnocchi with asparagus on the side. Top everything with grated cheese if you’d like. Enjoy!
I doubled the spices and salt and added in some balsamic vinegar. It was really good!0 Helpful
Did the chicken in the instant pot using the directions from the FB group. Fast and fairly easy.0 Helpful
Quick and easy. Zucchini noodles were great. Made spaghetti for the kids.0 Helpful
Good quick busy weeknight made in crockpot in am. Added a bit of paste to thicken. Did not make the Asparagus. Likely will keep I’m crockpot rotation.0 Helpful
Late to this one, but it was delicious! We replaced the asparagus with green beans and the pine nuts with sliced almonds. I used one can of crushed fire roasted tomatoes and one crushed tomatoes with basil. Based on the reviews we also added a little Better Than Bouillonon and cornstarch slurry at the end, making a thicker, flavorful sauce. Will definitely be making again.0 Helpful
Flavor was a little bland and mostly tasted of peppers and onions. Next time I would use crushed tomatoes with basil, and add olives and mushrooms at the end.0 Helpful