Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
with spaghetti / lemony asparagus
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Garlic - 6 cloves, chopped
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz (sub any pasta shape)
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Asparagus - 12 oz, trimmed
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp (sub chopped walnuts or pecans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Onions / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese (if using; for chicken and asparagus) - Grate cheese. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes (including liquid), Italian seasoning, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes in the bowl of a slow cooker. Nestle chicken thighs in the sauce. Cook chicken until tender and easily shredded with a fork, low for 7 to 8 hours (or high for 4 to 5 hours).
- Asparagus - Trim asparagus. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, heat a skillet or pan over medium heat. Toast pine nuts for 3 to 4 minutes, until fragrant. Set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add asparagus and saute for 4 to 8 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season with some salt and transfer to a serving dish. Top with lemon juice and pine nuts.
- Taste chicken and sauce; season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and sauce over pasta with asparagus on the side. Top everything with grated cheese if you’d like. Enjoy!
I doubled the spices and salt and added in some balsamic vinegar. It was really good!0 Helpful
Did the chicken in the instant pot using the directions from the FB group. Fast and fairly easy.0 Helpful
Quick and easy. Zucchini noodles were great. Made spaghetti for the kids.0 Helpful
Good quick busy weeknight made in crockpot in am. Added a bit of paste to thicken. Did not make the Asparagus. Likely will keep I’m crockpot rotation.0 Helpful
Late to this one, but it was delicious! We replaced the asparagus with green beans and the pine nuts with sliced almonds. I used one can of crushed fire roasted tomatoes and one crushed tomatoes with basil. Based on the reviews we also added a little Better Than Bouillonon and cornstarch slurry at the end, making a thicker, flavorful sauce. Will definitely be making again.0 Helpful
Flavor was a little bland and mostly tasted of peppers and onions. Next time I would use crushed tomatoes with basil, and add olives and mushrooms at the end.0 Helpful