Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
with spaghetti / lemony asparagus
Chicken Cacciatore is a rustic Italian dish that is hearty and satisfying served over spaghetti with simple pan-seared asparagus on the side. The slow cooker allows chicken thighs to get super tender while they cook in a flavorful tomato sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 oz , grated
- Garlic - 6 cloves , chopped
- Tomatoes, crushed (28 oz / 794 g) - 1 can
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Pasta, spaghetti or linguini - 8 oz (sub any pasta shape)
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Asparagus - 12 oz , trimmed
- Pine nuts (opt) - 2 Tbsp (sub chopped walnuts or pecans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Onions / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese (if using; for chicken and asparagus) - Grate cheese. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Chop garlic. Combine garlic, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes (including liquid), Italian seasoning, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes in the bowl of a slow cooker. Nestle chicken thighs in the sauce. Cook chicken until tender and easily shredded with a fork, low for 7 to 8 hours (or high for 4 to 5 hours).
- Asparagus - Trim asparagus. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, heat a skillet or pan over medium heat. Toast pine nuts for 3 to 4 minutes, until fragrant. Set aside.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add oil. Add asparagus and saute for 4 to 8 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season with some salt and transfer to a serving dish. Top with lemon juice and pine nuts.
- Taste chicken and sauce; season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and sauce over pasta with asparagus on the side. Top everything with grated cheese if you’d like. Enjoy!