with summer squash saute
Avocado BLT Sandwich:
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 3/4 lb , sliced
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 4 leaves
- Avocados - 1 , mashed
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Bacon - 12 slices
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
Summer Squash Saute with Mint:
- Summer squash - 1 lb , diced
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shallots and squash with some salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint, vinegar and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Toast bread.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mashed avocado on half the bread slices. Top with tomatoes, lettuce, bacon and remaining slices of bread. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy!