with summer squash saute
Oven-roasting is a more efficient (and less messy) way to prepare bacon to serve BLTs for a crowd in this meal that we can't resist at least once in the summer. This time we've added avocado for extra flavor and creaminess.
Avocado BLT Sandwich:
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 3/4 lb , sliced
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 4 leaves
- Avocados - 1 , mashed
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Bacon - 12 slices
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
Summer Squash Saute with Mint:
- Summer squash - 1 lb , diced
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Squash / Shallots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce / Mint - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Mash avocados with lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shallots and squash with some salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint, vinegar and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Toast bread.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mashed avocado on half the bread slices. Top with tomatoes, lettuce, bacon and remaining slices of bread. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy!