with summer squash saute
Oven-roasting is a more efficient (and less messy) way to prepare bacon to serve BLTs for a crowd in this meal that we can't resist at least once in the summer. This time we've added avocado for extra flavor and creaminess.
- Tomatoes, heirloom preferable - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 4 leaves
- Avocados - 1, mashed
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Bacon - 12 slices
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Summer squash - 1 lb, diced
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Mint, fresh - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and set bacon on top so that none are overlapping. Cook bacon in oven until golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Pour off extra bacon grease during cooking, if needed, to prevent bacon from being submerged in oil.
- While bacon is cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shallots and squash with some salt. Saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint, vinegar and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Toast bread.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mashed avocado on half the bread slices. Top with tomatoes, lettuce, bacon and remaining slices of bread. Serve with squash on the side and enjoy!
LOVED it! Super easy to make. The squash was a wonderful compliment to the BLT + A. Definitely a new go-to meal in our house.0 Helpful
I didn't make the squash so this was just a BLT, but I loved the avocado mash on it. Very tasty, a great quick staple.0 Helpful
Um...yum. I've never had sprouts on a sandwich. That was delicious. I used a chipotle hummus to add a little spice!0 Helpful
I substituted bacon for soy bacon. Great classic sandwich. Zucchini side was delicious0 Helpful
The BLT was good but my favorite part of the dish was the Sautéed Squash. I have never been a real fan of squash and now that has changed. I also found a better way to cook bacon.0 Helpful
Melt in your mouth delicious! Heirloom tomato slices really made the sandwich for me. Made green beans because I had them, will try the mint squash at some point.0 Helpful