Fattoush with Pan-Fried Chickpeas
and creamy tahini dressing
Smarts: This salad gets a lot of flavor from a Middle Eastern mix of herbs called Za'atar. There are many recipes online or find a pre-made blend in the spice aisle.
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 Tbsp (sub plain yogurt)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Za'atar - 1 Tbsp (sub equal parts chili powder and paprika)
- Salad greens - 5 oz
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz, crumbled
- Pita chips - 2 cups, crumbled
- Make creamy tahini dressing - Peel and chop garlic. Combine garlic, lemon juice, water, olive oil, tahini and honey. Whisk until smooth. (For an even creamier dressing, blend with an immersion blender.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Tomatoes / Parsley - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Avocados - Cube avocados.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer add beans and za’atar. Cook until beans are hot and begin to pop, ~5 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- To assemble salads, top greens with beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocados and parsley. Crumble feta over top. Add pita chips last, just before serving so they stay crunchy. Toss with tahini dressing and enjoy!
one of my all time favorite. Great buffe dish and just with some sliced of cold cuts it also works for non-vegetarians0 Helpful
Make a serving for 6 next time.0 Helpful
Loved the seasoning (had to use chili powder/paprika substitute). I also mistakenly used my cucumber for something else and substituted broccoli. I added it to the pan with the chickpeas and seasoning, and it was delicious.0 Helpful
Made great lunches! Used cherry tomatoes when tomatoes were out of season. Make dressing in 32 serving increments divided into 6 containers. The spices from this VERY similar recipe are so much better! https://mealplans.cooksmarts.com/days/1159?version=vegetarian0 Helpful
I was pleasantly surprised that kids liked this. I added some walnuts and olives and chicken just in case. Served deconstructed for picky eaters and everyone tried the garbanzo beans and seemed to like them.0 Helpful
Easy, fresh and tasty!0 Helpful