Chipotle Black Bean Bowls
with avocados / tomatoes
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Chipotle peppers, canned - 1 to 2, chopped
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, any shredded blend - 3 oz
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Make chipotle sauce - Chop garlic and chipotles (start with a small number of chipotle peppers; you can always add more during cooking). Combine garlic, chipotles, tomatoes (including liquid), adobo sauce, tomato paste and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Bell peppers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Avocados / Tomatoes / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and then onions and bell peppers and saute until onion begins to turn translucent ~ 2 minutes. Add black beans and chipotle sauce. Continue cooking until sauce thickens a bit and beans are warmed through ~3 minutes.
- To assemble burrito bowls, divide rice and beans between bowls. Top with cheese, avocados and tomatoes. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy on its own or with a few tortilla chips for dipping!
Too spicy for my toddlers, but I liked it. I only used one chipotle pepper, and it had enough kick for me.0 Helpful
Really like a Chipotle burrito bowl, which is important, since we're abroad and can't get those! Couldn't get canned chipotles, so used extra bell pepper, plus habanero sauce, oregano, extra garlic, and dried red pepper.0 Helpful
I try to like chicken thighs, but we just can't seem to get along. I will try again with chicken breasts. Otherwise flavors were good!0 Helpful
Made it too spicy for us.0 Helpful
Bill's favorite0 Helpful
My fault. Too many peppers made this a fireball but I liked it still.0 Helpful