Honey Chipotle Chicken Thighs
baby spinach and avocado salad
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Chipotle peppers, canned - 1 to 2, chopped
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, bone-in & skin on - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Spinach, baby - 8 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 2 oz
- Make chipotle sauce - Chop garlic and chipotles (start with a small number of chipotle peppers; you can always add more during cooking). Combine garlic, chipotles, tomatoes (including liquid), adobo sauce, tomato paste and honey (portion for the chicken). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season chicken with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat cooking oil over high heat in a large oven-safe skillet and add chicken skin side down. Cook until the skin is golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. (Do this in batches if all of the chicken won't easily fit in the pan.) Turn off the burner and transfer chicken to a plate. Discard any cooking oil/grease from the skillet.
- Pour chipotle sauce into the skillet and top with chicken, skin-side up. Bake, uncovered, for 12 to 16 minutes until chicken is cooked through (chicken will feel firm and juices will run clear when pricked).
- While chicken cooks, whisk together mustard, honey (portion for the salad), vinegar and olive oil. Cube avocados and chop tomatoes and toss with dressing. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When chicken is finished, spoon avocados, tomatoes and dressing over spinach. Sprinkle pepitas on top.
- Serve chicken and sauce with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Too spicy for my toddlers, but I liked it. I only used one chipotle pepper, and it had enough kick for me.0 Helpful
Really like a Chipotle burrito bowl, which is important, since we're abroad and can't get those! Couldn't get canned chipotles, so used extra bell pepper, plus habanero sauce, oregano, extra garlic, and dried red pepper.0 Helpful
I try to like chicken thighs, but we just can't seem to get along. I will try again with chicken breasts. Otherwise flavors were good!0 Helpful
Made it too spicy for us.0 Helpful
Bill's favorite0 Helpful
My fault. Too many peppers made this a fireball but I liked it still.0 Helpful