Honey Chipotle Chicken Thighs
baby spinach and avocado salad
Honey Chipotle Chicken Thighs:
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Chipotle peppers, canned - 1 to 2 , chopped
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken thighs, bone-in & skin on - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Baby Spinach and Avocado Salad:
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , chopped
- Spinach, baby - 8 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 2 oz
- Make chipotle sauce - Chop garlic and chipotles (start with a small number of chipotle peppers; you can always add more during cooking). Combine garlic, chipotles, tomatoes (including liquid), adobo sauce, tomato paste and honey (portion for the chicken). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season chicken with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat cooking oil over high heat in a large oven-safe skillet and add chicken skin side down. Cook until the skin is golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. (Do this in batches if all of the chicken won't easily fit in the pan.) Turn off the burner and transfer chicken to a plate. Discard any cooking oil/grease from the skillet.
- Pour chipotle sauce into the skillet and top with chicken, skin-side up. Bake, uncovered, for 12 to 16 minutes until chicken is cooked through (chicken will feel firm and juices will run clear when pricked).
- While chicken cooks, whisk together mustard, honey (portion for the salad), vinegar and olive oil. Cube avocados and chop tomatoes and toss with dressing. Season with some salt and pepper.
- When chicken is finished, spoon avocados, tomatoes and dressing over spinach. Sprinkle pepitas on top.
- Serve chicken and sauce with salad on the side. Enjoy!