Cajun Chickenwith corn, zucchini and black bean quinoa / lemon yogurt
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/3 cup
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Quinoa, uncooked - 1 cup
- Stock, any type - 2 cups
- Bell peppers, any color - 1/2 chopped
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Green onions - 1 stalk, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Chicken breasts - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and then season with Cajun seasoning. (Note: if your Cajun seasoning mix does not contain salt, add some salt). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine quinoa with stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat when finished to prevent burning / sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make yogurt sauce - Whisk together yogurt, honey, paprika and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store zucchini in one container. Combine green and white parts of green onions in another container. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Beans and corn - Combine beans and corn in a colander and run under warm water to rinse beans and defrost corn.
- Heat a large wok or nonstick pan with oil (the portion for the chicken) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside and cover with foil to keep warm. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add oil (the portion for the quinoa) and then zucchini and vinegar. Saute zucchini until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and onions and continue to saute until onions are tender, ~4 minutes more.
- Stir in black beans and corn. Add quinoa and continue cooking until quinoa is warm.
- Remove from heat and season with some salt and pepper.
- Top quinoa with lemon juice and green onions and serve chicken on the side. Enjoy with sauce drizzled over both elements or on the side for dipping.
This meal has 22 reviews
Made the quinoa in a rice cooker. Didn't have sherry vinegar, so I used rice vinegar.
Very good and so easy! I had chopped the veggies ahead of time, so it came together very quickly-this would be great as a weeknight meal. Once everything was cooked, I tossed the chicken and sauce all together with it. Made the whole dish very flavorful.
It was more quinoa than we could eat.
Chicken v good! Small qty though.
A new Top 10