Portobello Pesto Pizzas
with Italian pasta salad
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Portobello Pesto Pizzas:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, fresh mozzarella - 5 oz , sliced
- Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
Italian Pasta Salad with Peppers and Cucumbers:
- Pasta, fusilli - 6 oz (sub any pasta shape)
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Cucumbers - 10 oz , chopped
- Olives, any pitted (5 oz / 142 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Make pesto - (Skip if pesto was made ahead for Monday.) Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, cheese, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil (portion for the pesto) until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. If using right away, rinse under tap water to cool. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Cucumbers - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stems. Using the side of a spoon, scrape out the inside gills (the dark ridge-y stuff). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Cheese - Prep as directed.
- Olives - Drain and rinse olives. (Chop into slices if not already sliced.)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Brush portobello mushrooms with cooking oil (both sides). Place portobellos cap side down (or stem-side up, even though the stems are gone) on a sheet pan. Spoon pesto into mushrooms. Top with a slice of tomato and then a slice of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- While mushrooms cook, whisk together Italian seasoning, honey, mustard, vinegar and olive oil (portion for the pasta salad) in a mixing bowl. Add pasta, bell peppers, cucumbers and olives and toss to combine. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve mushrooms with pasta salad on the side. Enjoy!