Greek Salad with Chickpeas
- Eggs - 4
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Olives, any pitted (5 oz / 142 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Pita bread - 4 rounds (sub pita chips)
- Cucumbers - 4 oz, grated
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp, chopped (sub dried)
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic, powder - 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 tsp
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumber - Use a box grater to finely shred cucumber. Sprinkle some salt over top (this will help draw out liquid) and then press shredded cucumber between paper towels to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Make tzatziki - Chop dill. Combine cucumber, dill, oregano, garlic powder, yogurt, lemon juice and vinegar. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- Olives - Drain and rinse olives. (Chop into slices if not already sliced.)
- Toast pita and slice into wedges.
- Peel eggs and slice into wedges.
- Give tzatziki a stir and season with some salt and pepper. If it is too thick to easily spoon over the salads, thin it slightly with a bit of water.
- Assemble salad by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with onions, carrots, tomatoes, chickpeas, olives and eggs. Top salads with a spoonful of tzatziki. Serve pita wedges on the side with extra tzatziki for dipping. Enjoy!
The chicken wasn't so dry with the dressing. I added some bell pepper.0 Helpful
The tzatziki was very good. Also, we just made gyros.0 Helpful
Just a salad...0 Helpful
I think feta would have been better than fresh mozzarella. Also, I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, because that's what I had on hand. Breasts would have been better. It's fine, it's just 'underwhelming'.0 Helpful
I would rather have had this meal as a wrap or sandwich (pita)0 Helpful
this was a lot of steps for an 'OK" meal.0 Helpful