Leftover Chicken Gyro Salad
with lemon dill dressing
- Eggs - 4
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Olives, any pitted (5 oz / 142 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Marinated chicken (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/4 lbs
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp, chopped (sub dried)
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic, powder - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 tsp
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make lemon dill dressing - Chop dill. Combine dill, oregano, garlic powder, vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Olives - Drain and rinse olives. (Chop into slices if not already sliced.)
- Slice leftover chicken and warm in the microwave or in a skillet with some oil.
- Peel eggs and slice into wedges.
- Assemble salad by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with onions, carrots, tomatoes, chicken, olives and eggs. Top salads with lemon dill dressing at the table. Enjoy!
The chicken wasn't so dry with the dressing. I added some bell pepper.0 Helpful
The tzatziki was very good. Also, we just made gyros.0 Helpful
Just a salad...0 Helpful
I think feta would have been better than fresh mozzarella. Also, I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, because that's what I had on hand. Breasts would have been better. It's fine, it's just 'underwhelming'.0 Helpful
I would rather have had this meal as a wrap or sandwich (pita)0 Helpful
this was a lot of steps for an 'OK" meal.0 Helpful