Leftover Chicken Gyro Salad
- Onions, medium red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts, chopped
- Olives, any pitted (5 oz / 142 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Marinated chicken (leftover from Tuesday) - ~1 1/4 lbs
- Pita bread, gluten-free - 4 rounds (sub pita chips)
- Cucumbers - 4 oz, grated
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp, chopped (sub dried)
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic, powder - 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 tsp
- Cucumber - Use a box grater to finely shred cucumber. Sprinkle some salt over top (this will help draw out liquid) and then press shredded cucumber between paper towels to extract as much moisture as possible.
- Make tzatziki - Chop dill. Combine cucumber, dill, oregano, garlic powder, yogurt, lemon juice and vinegar. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed.
- Olives - Drain and rinse olives. (Chop into slices if not already sliced.)
- Warm leftover chicken in the microwave or in a skillet with some oil.
- Toast pita and slice into wedges.
- Give tzatziki a stir and season with some salt and pepper. If it is too thick to easily spoon over the salads, thin it slightly with a bit of water.
- Assemble salad by forming a bed of lettuce and topping it with onions, carrots, tomatoes, olives and chicken. Top salads with a spoonful of tzatziki. Serve pita wedges on the side with extra tzatziki for dipping. Enjoy!
The chicken wasn't so dry with the dressing. I added some bell pepper.0 Helpful
The tzatziki was very good. Also, we just made gyros.0 Helpful
Just a salad...0 Helpful
I think feta would have been better than fresh mozzarella. Also, I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, because that's what I had on hand. Breasts would have been better. It's fine, it's just 'underwhelming'.0 Helpful
I would rather have had this meal as a wrap or sandwich (pita)0 Helpful
this was a lot of steps for an 'OK" meal.0 Helpful