Vegetable Sandwiches with Pesto
and grilled pineapple spears
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 2, sliced into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces
- Zucchini - 1 lb, sliced into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces
- Baguette or ciabatta - 12 oz, sliced open
- Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Cheese, provolone or Swiss - 4 slices
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 lbs, sliced into spears
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, cheese, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in oil until smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers / Zucchini - Slice bell peppers and zucchini into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- If cooking in the oven, arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler and turn on broiler. If cooking on the grill, heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees.
- While oven / grill heats, slice bread open through the center lengthwise.
- If cooking in the oven: Place bell peppers and zucchini on a sheet pan. Brush vegetables on both sides with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil for 5 minutes on each side, until tender. After vegetables are done, broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh! Toast bread (you can place it right on the oven rack) under the broiler until just starting to turn golden.
- If cooking on a grill: Brush bell peppers and zucchini with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange vegetables and pineapple on grill (use a grill basket for the peppers if you have one or place them on a piece of foil on the grill to prevent them from falling through the cracks). Grill uncovered - 6 to 8 minutes for vegetables and 4 to 6 minutes for pineapple. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, toast bread on the grill.
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on pesto (remember to reserve half if doubled) and adding grilled vegetables and then cheese. (If you want to melt the cheese, slide the sandwiches under the broiler for ~1 minute.) Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!
We used jar pesto because we could not find fresh basil at the store.0 Helpful
My husband and I both loved this! Super easy to make and delicious. We used chimichurri instead of pesto and added grilled onions, spring mix, and tomatoes to the sandwich.0 Helpful
A very easy meal to make. Comes together quickly. My steak was a little tough. If I was going to make again I might spring for a better quality cut.0 Helpful
Nothing special. Good but not great.0 Helpful
Made it with Boston and Romaine lettuce, instead of the bun, and it was delicious.0 Helpful
Not as quick as I'd like for a sandwich, but tasty. Would use provolone next time instead of swiss.0 Helpful