Skirt Steak and Asparagus with Pesto
and grilled pineapple spears
This plate of simple, colorful summer favorites is delicious whether you choose to throw everything on the grill or prepare it in the oven. A fresh summery pesto makes a great topping for both the steak and asparagus.
- Asparagus - 16 oz, trimmed
- Steak, skirt - 1 1/2 lbs (sub flank, hanger, flat iron)
- Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 lbs, sliced into spears
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil (portion for the pesto) until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple / Asparagus - Slice pineapple into spears. Trim asparagus. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Skirt steak - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If cooking in the oven, arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler and turn on broiler. If cooking on the grill, heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees.
- If cooking in the oven: Place steak and asparagus on a sheet pan. Brush asparagus with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil asparagus for 6 to 8 minutes and steak for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked to your liking. After steak and asparagus are done, broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh!
- If cooking on a grill: Brush asparagus with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange steak, asparagus and pineapple on grill (use a grill basket for the asparagus if you have one or place them on a piece of foil on the grill to prevent it from falling through the cracks). Grill uncovered - steak for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, asparagus for 4 to 6 minutes total and pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers).
- Top steak and asparagus with pesto (remember to reserve half if doubled). Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!
We used jar pesto because we could not find fresh basil at the store.0 Helpful
My husband and I both loved this! Super easy to make and delicious. We used chimichurri instead of pesto and added grilled onions, spring mix, and tomatoes to the sandwich.0 Helpful
A very easy meal to make. Comes together quickly. My steak was a little tough. If I was going to make again I might spring for a better quality cut.0 Helpful
Nothing special. Good but not great.0 Helpful
Made it with Boston and Romaine lettuce, instead of the bun, and it was delicious.0 Helpful
Not as quick as I'd like for a sandwich, but tasty. Would use provolone next time instead of swiss.0 Helpful