Skirt Steak Sandwiches with Pesto
and grilled pineapple spears
These flavorful sandwiches were made with chimichurri when we first featured a version of them in May 2016, but this time we're using pesto for a fun summer twist. The results are delicious whether you use the grill or the oven to cook the peppers and steak that fill the sandwiches.
Skirt Steak Sandwiches with Pesto:
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 2 , sliced into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank, hanger, flat iron)
- Baguette or ciabatta - 12 oz , sliced open
- Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
Grilled Pineapple Spears:
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 lbs , sliced into spears
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz , grated
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, cheese, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in oil until smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Slice into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Skirt steak - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If cooking in the oven, arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler and turn on broiler. If cooking on the grill, heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees.
- While oven / grill heats, slice bread open through the center lengthwise.
- If cooking in the oven: Place steak and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Brush bell peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil peppers for 5 minutes on each side and steak for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked to your liking. After steak and peppers are done, broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh! Toast bread (you can place it right on the oven rack) until golden, ~2 minutes.
- If cooking on a grill: Brush peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange steak, peppers and pineapple on grill (use a grill basket for the peppers if you have one or place them on a piece of foil on the grill to prevent them from falling through the cracks). Grill uncovered - steak for 2 to 4 minutes, peppers for 4 to 6 minutes and pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes - per side for all ingredients. Toast bread on the grill in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers).
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on pesto (remember to reserve half if doubled) and layering in sliced steak and peppers. Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!