Skirt Steak Sandwiches with Pesto
and grilled pineapple spears
- Bell peppers, yellow or orange - 2, sliced into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces
- Steak, skirt - 1 lb (sub flank, hanger, flat iron)
- Baguette or ciabatta - 12 oz, sliced open
- Pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/4 cup
- Pineapple, fresh - 2 lbs, sliced into spears
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 oz, grated
- Basil, fresh - 1 1/2 oz
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, cheese, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in oil until smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Slice into 1" / 2.5cm wide pieces. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. Use this video to see how to peel pineapple. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Skirt steak - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If cooking in the oven, arrange top rack so it’s about 6” / 15cm from the broiler and turn on broiler. If cooking on the grill, heat grill to 500F / 260C degrees.
- While oven / grill heats, slice bread open through the center lengthwise.
- If cooking in the oven: Place steak and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Brush bell peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Broil peppers for 5 minutes on each side and steak for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until cooked to your liking. After steak and peppers are done, broil pineapple spears for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or skip broiling and just enjoy them fresh! Toast bread (you can place it right on the oven rack) until golden, ~2 minutes.
- If cooking on a grill: Brush peppers with some olive oil and sprinkle with some salt. Arrange steak, peppers and pineapple on grill (use a grill basket for the peppers if you have one or place them on a piece of foil on the grill to prevent them from falling through the cracks). Grill uncovered - steak for 2 to 4 minutes, peppers for 4 to 6 minutes and pineapple for 2 to 3 minutes - per side for all ingredients. Toast bread on the grill in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Let steak rest for ~10 minutes before slicing against the grain (i.e., perpendicular to the fibers).
- Assemble sandwiches by slathering on pesto (remember to reserve half if doubled) and layering in sliced steak and peppers. Enjoy with pineapple spears on the side!
Used ciabata rolls and store pesto. Added quite a bit more seasoning to the meat as a dry rub. Loved all the grilled veggies pineapple and meat. Pesto as a spread was yummy! All was flavorful and delicious!0 Helpful
Very simple and delicious. Used brioche rolls since that is what I had. Put some butter and garlic on the rolls and toasted in the broiler. Used store bought pesto to keep it simple.0 Helpful
Soooo yummy. We don't do beef often but this may just have to become part of our rotation. The bright pesto and meaty richness of the steak together was *chef kiss*0 Helpful
Simple but amazing!0 Helpful
We used jar pesto because we could not find fresh basil at the store.0 Helpful
My husband and I both loved this! Super easy to make and delicious. We used chimichurri instead of pesto and added grilled onions, spring mix, and tomatoes to the sandwich.0 Helpful