Marinated Chicken with “Caprese Salsa”
with fruit salad
When the Cook Smarts team gets together to plan summer meals, we have to resist the temptation to include Caprese Salad nearly every week. This week we're using a paleo-friendly version (tomatoes and fresh basil) to top marinated chicken in this summer meal.
Lemon Herb Dressing:
- Basil - 3 leaves
- Green onions - 1 stalk , green and white parts chopped and combined
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
Marinated Chicken with “Caprese Salsa”:
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , chopped
- Basil - 4 leaves , chopped
Fruit Salad with Honey and Lime:
- Watermelon cubes - 2 cups (look for pre-cubed to save time)
- Berries, any type - 2 cups (or use a combination)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Make lemon herb dressing - (Skip if dressing was made ahead on Tuesday.) Chop basil (portion for the dressing) and green onions. Combine basil, green and white parts of green onions, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and honey (portion for the dressing) in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Slice chicken in half. Toss with half the dressing (reserve remaining half) and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Basil (portion for the chicken) - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Watermelon / Berries - Slice watermelon into cubes (if not pre-cubed). If using berries that need to be sliced, like strawberries, slice.
- In one bowl, toss tomatoes and basil (portion for the chicken) with remaining half of lemon herb dressing. In another bowl, toss watermelon and berries with lime juice and honey (portion for the fruit salad). Refrigerate both bowls until ready to serve.
- If using a grill: Preheat grill to to 400F / 204C degrees. Clean and brush grates with some oil. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place over heat. Season chicken with some salt and pepper as it cooks. Sear chicken until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes on each side.
- If using the stovetop: Place a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Brush pan with some oil and sear chicken (discard marinade) until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes on each side. Season chicken with some salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Slice chicken and top with tomato / basil mixture. Enjoy with fruit salad on the side.