Chicken Soba Noodles
with carrots / coleslaw mix
- Brown sugar - 2 tsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, meat shredded
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks, green and white parts chopped and separate
- Noodles, soba - 8 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz
- Hot sauce of choice - for serving
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine brown sugar, miso, vinegar, toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Carrots - Chop carrots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (Skip if this was done ahead on Tuesday.) Take meat off the bone and slice with a knife. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Limes / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store limes, green parts of green onions and white parts of green onions separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add soba noodles and cook according to packaged instructions. (Soba noodles don’t take long to cook, so keep an eye out.) Drain.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- When noodles are nearly finished cooking, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then carrots. Saute until carrots are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add coleslaw mix and white parts of green onions and saute for 2 minutes more.
- Pour stir-fry sauce over top and bring to a simmer. Add corn starch / water mixture, while stirring. Simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soba noodles and juice from one of the lime wedges. Add rotisserie chicken slices on top.
- Serve chicken soba noodles with green parts of green onions on top and lime wedges and hot sauce on the side to use as garnishes. Enjoy!
Doubled the stir-fry sauce. Can't have too much sauce! Update: we have gone vegan and this vegetarian meal also qualifies as vegan! Yeah!0 Helpful
Loved this! We loaded up on veggies - threw in a whole package of this kale coleslaw mix from the grocery store and some chopped up spinach. Would probably add more toasted sesame seed oil/less soy sauce next time but over all really enjoyed it and came together quickly!0 Helpful
I tossed the chicken in with the veggies and added snow peas. The whole family loved it!0 Helpful
Added oyster mushrooms.0 Helpful
The soy sauce is heavy. I may dim it down some next time otherwise it's a good dish. Needs something nutty also.0 Helpful
My family said "yummy" and the kids wanted it in their lunches for the next day. The chicken could be tossed with a little of the stir fry sauce, just a little dry.0 Helpful