Salmon-Basil Burgerswith green bean “fries”
Salmon burgers are a lighter variation on the classic hamburger and a delicious way to get your omega-3's. Served with a tangy sauce that is also used as a dipping sauce for green bean “fries,” these burgers got great reviews when first featured in 2015.
Smarts: We know that it’s a stretch to call green beans “fries,” but we do think they are nearly as fun to dip as their starchy counterpart. Just be sure not to overcook the beans so they still retain some crunch.
- Basil - 8 leaves, finely chopped
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Panko - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, drained and rinsed
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 4 leaves, leaves torn (sub iceberg)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Mayonnaise - 6 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Make balsamic aioli - Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and lemon zest. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Basil / Green beans - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salmon patties - Rinse salmon and pat dry. Use a knife to chop up the salmon meat. Combine salmon, panko, egg, basil, capers, salt and pepper in a bowl. Form into 3/4” / 2cm thick patties (1 patty / serving). The patty should feel quite wet, but if it feels too wet to hold together, add some additional panko. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then salmon patties to heated oil. Sear on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover pan with a lid or foil, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until patties feel firm to touch. Remove from heat and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place green beans in a microwave-safe dish. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, until tender but still a bit crunchy.
- Squeeze lemon juice over green beans and season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast buns.
- Assemble salmon burgers with half the balsamic aioli (reserve the other half), salmon patties, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve green beans on the side with the remaining half of balsamic aioli for dipping. Enjoy!
This meal has 31 reviews
Made these as directed but added some sweet potato fries. I skipped the aioli since we don’t have many mayo fans. Everyone gobbled these up. Might add the Parmesan someone else noted next time.
Next time I will sear on one side, turn and then put it in a 400 degree oven to finish like the salmon
Nice flavors, weird consistency for the burger. I tried to dehydrate the green beans, which was further weird.
Delicious. Big hit with my family (including my mother-in-law).
Salmon stuck to the pan. Need to find a better method to cook it.