Ham and Cauliflower Stir-Fry
with mushrooms / fried egg
Kimchi is fermented Korean cabbage and it also happens to be super healthy. If you're wary of eating it alone, this stir-fry with is a perfect recipe to ease you in. The kimchi provides crunch and the pickling liquid from the kimchi provides just the right level of flavor. Top the dish with a fried egg for an added dose of protein and extra flavor from the yolk.
- Kimchi - 2 cups, chopped
- Ham, thick deli-sliced - 8 oz, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced
- Asparagus - 12 oz, trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen - 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Kimchi - Place colander / strainer into a bowl and separate pickling liquid from the cabbage.
- Ham / Mushrooms / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Combine mushrooms and asparagus in one container. Store ham separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep cauliflower - If using frozen cauliflower florets, defrost in the microwave. If using fresh cauliflower, chop into florets and place in a microwave-safe bowl; cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then white parts of green onions, mushrooms and asparagus. Saute until any moisture from the mushrooms is cooked off and vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To vegetables, add ham and cauliflower and saute until ham is starting to brown, ~3 minutes more. Pour aminos and pickling liquid over stir-fry and toss to coat.
- Set stir-fry aside (covered so it stays warm) and place a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then crack eggs in oil. Fry eggs until cooked to your liking (on one side for sunny-side up, or flip to cook on both sides.)
- Serve stir-fry with fried eggs on top. Garnish with green parts of green onions and lime wedges. Season with some more aminos or some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
A terrific stir fry. I really appreciate that it is heavier on the veggies/tofu than the rice. I think it would have been just as good with brown rice.0 Helpful
Skipped the tofu but wish I had substituted it with something else -- didn't feel like enough food or very filling. Otherwise, it was very tasty. Kimchi flavors really shines in this dish.0 Helpful
The first time I made this was without the kimchi and it was alright. This time, I was able to find the kimchi (it's in the refrigerated produce area) and that really made it great.0 Helpful
Crumbled the Tofu instead of fried. So so so tasty! Green beans instead of asparagus.0 Helpful
A lot of components but worth it! Will definitely use this tofo technique again.0 Helpful
I added the kimchi at the table to my plate. Quite tasty.0 Helpful