Tofu Kimchi Fried Rice
with mushrooms / fried egg
Kimchi is fermented Korean cabbage and it also happens to be super healthy. If you're wary of eating it alone, this classic Cook Smarts version of fried rice is the perfect recipe to ease you in and got great reviews when we first introduced it to our meal plan service in 2014. The kimchi provides crunch and the pickling liquid from the kimchi provides just the right level of flavor.
- Kimchi - 2 cups, chopped
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, ½” / 1.3cm cubes (vacuum packed preferable)
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced
- Asparagus - 12 oz, trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped green and white parts separate
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from jar of kimchi) - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Kimchi - Place colander / strainer into a bowl and separate pickling liquid from the cabbage.
- Tofu / Mushrooms / Asparagus - Prep as directed. Combine mushrooms and asparagus. Store tofu separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Toss tofu with corn starch, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, toss leftover rice with first part of cooking oil.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add in second part of cooking oil, and then tofu to heated oil. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning until golden on all sides.
- When tofu is golden, add first part of Tamari and first part of kimchi pickling liquid. Saute tofu in sauce for another 2 minutes. Set tofu aside and wipe out nonstick pan.
- While tofu cooks, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add third part of oil and then white parts of green onions, mushrooms and asparagus. Saute until any moisture from the mushrooms is cooked off and vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To vegetables add leftover rice with second parts of Tamari and pickling liquid. Toss to coat and then fold in kimchi and tofu.
- Set rice aside (covered so it stays warm) and place a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add fourth part of cooking oil and then crack eggs in oil. Fry eggs until cooked to your liking (on one side for sunny-side up, or flip to cook on both sides.)
- Divide rice between serving bowls and top each portion with a fried egg. Garnish with green parts of green onions and lime wedges. Season with some more Tamari or some hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
A terrific stir fry. I really appreciate that it is heavier on the veggies/tofu than the rice. I think it would have been just as good with brown rice.0 Helpful
Skipped the tofu but wish I had substituted it with something else -- didn't feel like enough food or very filling. Otherwise, it was very tasty. Kimchi flavors really shines in this dish.0 Helpful
The first time I made this was without the kimchi and it was alright. This time, I was able to find the kimchi (it's in the refrigerated produce area) and that really made it great.0 Helpful
Crumbled the Tofu instead of fried. So so so tasty! Green beans instead of asparagus.0 Helpful
A lot of components but worth it! Will definitely use this tofo technique again.0 Helpful
I added the kimchi at the table to my plate. Quite tasty.0 Helpful