Tuna Poke Bowl
with rice / kale / spicy garlic mayo
If you haven't come across poke bowls, they are like burrito bowls made with sushi-inspired ingredients. Top rice with fresh raw fish and then pile on other fun things like avocado, edamame and spicy garlic mayo. Check out this video to see how it's done!
Smarts: The fish is really the star of these bowls. Look for sushi-grade tuna (or salmon) and tell your fishmonger that you plan to serve it raw so that he / she can point you towards the best. If there's not a great raw fish option, pre-cooked cocktail shrimp can be prepared in the same way.
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks, thinly sliced, white and green parts
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Kale - 6 oz, very thinly sliced
- Edamame, shelled - 3/4 cup
- Tuna, sushi-grade - 12 oz, ½” / 1.3cm cubes (sub sushi-grade salmon; pre-cooked shrimp)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, any color (opt) - 2 tsp
- Pickled ginger (opt) - for serving
- Mayonnaise - 4 Tbsp
- Chili-garlic sauce - 2 tsp
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spicy garlic mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise and chili-garlic sauce. Taste and add more chili-garlic sauce if you'd like. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Limes / Green onions - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados / Kale / Edamame - Prep as directed. If using frozen edamame, defrost.
- If the rice was made ahead, heat in the microwave so it is warm but not hot.
- Slice tuna into ½” / 1.3cm cubes. Toss tuna with green onions (green and white parts), soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Toss kale with vinegar and cooking oil. (For more tender kale, massage the vinegar and cooking oil into the leaves.) Season with a pinch of salt.
- Assemble bowls by dividing rice and kale between serving bowls. Top with avocado, edamame, cucumber and tuna. Finish with sesame seeds and a drizzle of spicy garlic mayo.
- Serve bowls with lime wedges and pickled ginger on the side.
This was AMAZINGLY Yummy, and really easy. Like, this is the first new meal I've made from scratch, for YEARS. And the instructions are really a breeze to follow. The dicing does take a little time, but its easy enough to do ahead. I got my kale pre-chopped for ease. And I did my rice the night before, so I just had to reheat the rice a little, and assemble components each time. I liked that I had dinner/lunches basically ready to go for a couple days. And TIP: the kale gets softer, if you leave the vinegar on overnight in the fridge. That was kinda fun to have a slightly different way to enjoy the meal the second night. If you like it crunchy, only add vinegar to what you are using for the night of. Also, edamame was not readily available where I live with the pandemic, so I substituted Frozen Baby Lima Beans, which I steamed while prepping other ingredients. Hopefully next time I can find some edamame to try with it! Definitely making again!! New Favorite!0 Helpful
Great, light summery dish (vegetarian) - next time I'll make with some tuna for myself.0 Helpful
This was very good and not too heavy, which is nice for the summer. I went to our local (far inland) fish market, and accidentally ended up spending $20 on tuna for 4 people. Lesson learned: I'll get it from the grocery store next time.0 Helpful
I used smoked salmon because its what I had. I put most of that seasoning in with the kale because I found that a bit bland and the smoked salmon is already salty. But overall I thought the dish was delicious! My husband would probably give it 2-3 stars though0 Helpful
We added shrimp instead tune and it was so delicious - our new favorite!0 Helpful
Came together easily with spicy ahi from the grocery store!0 Helpful