Pesto Grilled Shrimp and Asparagus
with plum and citrus salad
Smarts: If you’re short on time, feel free to skip the skewers. Just chop the asparagus and saute it with the shrimp.
- Skewers, for grilling - 8
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Asparagus - 1 lb, trimmed
- Basil pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Plums - 2, sliced
- Oranges - 1, segmented
- Spinach, baby - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Pine nuts - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Basil, fresh - 2 oz, leaves torn
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Skewers - If cooking on an outdoor grill, soak skewers in water for at least 10 minutes so that they don’t burn.
- Make pesto - (Skip if pesto was already made ahead.) Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil until smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon and oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Asparagus - Snap off ends. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Assemble skewers - Thread skewers through shrimp. If using round skewers, use two / kebab to make it easier to flip. Lightly season with some salt and pepper.
- Plums / Oranges - Prep as directed.
- If cooking shrimp / asparagus on grill: Preheat grill to 450F / 232C degrees. Clean grates and brush grates, shrimp, and asparagus with some oil. Place shrimp and asparagus over direct heat. Grill shrimp and asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Remove shrimp from heat; if using thicker spears, you might have to cook asparagus for a bit longer.
- If cooking shrimp / asparagus on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil. Place shrimp and asparagus onto hot pan and grill both for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove shrimp from heat; if using thicker spears, you might have to cook asparagus for a bit longer.
- Brush shrimp and asparagus with pesto and season with some salt and pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with plums, oranges and spinach. Top salad with sliced almonds.
- Enjoy shrimp and asparagus with salad on the side.
so easy and delicious!!0 Helpful
Pesto, shrimp, and asparagus: GREAT combination!0 Helpful
Big hit with the kids0 Helpful
Skipped the pesto on the shrimp and used a garlic-butter recipe instead. Delicious! The sides went really nicely.0 Helpful
Quick, easy and delicious.0 Helpful
SO made his own "pesto". Came out tasty: cilantro, pecans, lime, gruyere, avocado oil.0 Helpful