Pesto Grilled Shrimp and Asparagus
with plum and citrus salad
Smarts: If you’re short on time, feel free to skip the skewers. Just chop the asparagus and saute it with the shrimp.
- Skewers, for grilling - 8
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Asparagus - 1 lb, trimmed
- Pesto - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Plums - 2, sliced
- Oranges - 1, segmented
- Spinach, baby - 8 oz
- Almonds, sliced or slivered - 1/4 cup
- Skewers - If cooking on an outdoor grill, soak skewers in water for at least 10 minutes so that they don’t burn.
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon and oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Asparagus - Snap off ends. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Assemble skewers - Thread skewers through shrimp. If using round skewers, use two / kebab to make it easier to flip. Lightly season with some salt and pepper.
- Plums / Oranges - Prep as directed.
- If cooking shrimp / asparagus on grill: Preheat grill to 450F / 232C degrees. Clean grates and brush grates, shrimp, and asparagus with some oil. Place shrimp and asparagus over direct heat. Grill shrimp and asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Remove shrimp from heat; if using thicker spears, you might have to cook asparagus for a bit longer.
- If cooking shrimp / asparagus on stovetop: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil. Place shrimp and asparagus onto hot pan and grill both for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove shrimp from heat; if using thicker spears, you might have to cook asparagus for a bit longer.
- Brush shrimp and asparagus with pesto and season with some salt and pepper.
- Toss vinaigrette with plums, oranges and spinach. Top salad with sliced almonds.
- Enjoy shrimp and asparagus with salad on the side.
so easy and delicious!!0 Helpful
Pesto, shrimp, and asparagus: GREAT combination!0 Helpful
Big hit with the kids0 Helpful
Skipped the pesto on the shrimp and used a garlic-butter recipe instead. Delicious! The sides went really nicely.0 Helpful
Quick, easy and delicious.0 Helpful
SO made his own "pesto". Came out tasty: cilantro, pecans, lime, gruyere, avocado oil.0 Helpful