Summer Vegetable and Sausage Saute
with lemon broccolini
- Sausage, any pre-cooked type - 16 oz, sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Zucchini - 1 lb, diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Basil pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Pine nuts (sub walnuts or pecans) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Basil - 2 oz, leaves torn
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil until smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sausage / Garlic / Zucchini / Broccolini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and toast until golden brown (watch them closely so they don’t burn), ~2 minutes. Set nuts aside and return pan to heat.
- Add first part of oil and then sausage. Saute until sausage is golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add second a part of oil and then zucchini with a pinch of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes and saute for 1 minute more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cooked sausage and pesto. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place broccolini in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until broccolini is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (If you prefer, you can saute broccolini in a skillet with some oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.) Squeeze lemon juice over top and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sausage saute with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
Surprised by how much we enjoyed this! To sauté the broccolini at the end, I let it get a little charred with some olive oil, salt and pepper before throwing a little water in and letting it steam with the lid on. Finished with 2 cloves of minced garlic and some red pepper flakes before sprinkling the lemon juice on.0 Helpful
Loved it. Super easy to throw together. Would add maybe a little bit more salt or lemon juice. I used canned pesto so not sure how it would taste with fresh/homemade (but can only imagine it gets better)0 Helpful
This was really good, but I think we'd leave out the pesto next time or replace it with something else. I'm not sure if it was just the brand we used, but it was too over-powering.0 Helpful
Leave Pesto is optional added at the table.0 Helpful
Pleasantly surprised. It was delicious. Would be good as a side.0 Helpful
So simple. Making it a favorite for busy nights.0 Helpful