Summer Vegetable and Sausage Saute
with lemon broccolini
- Sausage, any pre-cooked type - 16 oz, sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Zucchini - 1 lb, diced
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Basil pesto (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/3 cup
- Broccolini - 12 oz, trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Pine nuts - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub walnuts or pecans)
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Basil, fresh - 2 oz, leaves torn
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make pesto - Double if making Thursday’s meal. Toast nuts in a dry skillet or frying pan until fragrant and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Peel garlic cloves. Place nuts, garlic, basil leaves and lemon juice into a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are well chopped. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil until smooth. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sausage / Garlic / Zucchini / Broccolini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and toast until golden brown (watch them closely so they don’t burn), ~2 minutes. Set nuts aside and return pan to heat.
- Add first part of oil and then sausage. Saute until sausage is golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and add second a part of oil and then zucchini with a pinch of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes and saute for 1 minute more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cooked sausage and pesto. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place broccolini in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until broccolini is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (If you prefer, you can saute broccolini in a skillet with some oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.) Squeeze lemon juice over top and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve sausage saute with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!
We really enjoy farro dishes and this was good.0 Helpful
This came together quickly and was perfect for a hot summer night. I did toss in some oven baked bacon for some extra crunch, delicious.0 Helpful
Made as is. Tasty and satisfying.0 Helpful
Flavorful! Made as is and will definitely make again.0 Helpful
This was great! I omitted the parmesan and used store-bought vegan pesto. I also roasted the broccolini instead of microwaving. Next time, I'd probably toss in some veggie sausage as it wasn't very filling.0 Helpful
Surprised by how much we enjoyed this! To sauté the broccolini at the end, I let it get a little charred with some olive oil, salt and pepper before throwing a little water in and letting it steam with the lid on. Finished with 2 cloves of minced garlic and some red pepper flakes before sprinkling the lemon juice on.0 Helpful