with lemon broccolini
We call this hearty stovetop dish “farroto” because the preparation and ingredients are similar to traditional risotto, though made with whole grain farro instead of traditional rice. Plus, there are no long cook times in this weeknight-friendly variation. Thanks to farro that was pre-cooked earlier in the week, this dish cooks in a matter of minutes.
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Zucchini - 1 lb , diced
- Basil, fresh - 8 leaves , chiffonade
- Corn kernels, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pine nuts - 1 oz (sub chopped pecans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- White wine - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1/4 cup
- Farro, cooked (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Pesto - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Broccolini - 12 oz , trimmed
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and toast until golden brown (watch them closely so they don’t burn), ~2 minutes. Set nuts aside and return pan to heat.
- Add oil and then zucchini with a pinch of salt. Saute until zucchini is tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Pour wine and stock over zucchini and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute and then add farro and corn. Saute until farro and corn are heated through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pesto, butter and lemon juice (portion for the farroto) until butter melts. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place broccolini in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave until broccolini is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (If you prefer, you can saute broccolini in a skillet with some oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.) Squeeze lemon juice (portion for the broccolini) over top and season with some salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, top farroto with cheese, basil and pine nuts. Enjoy with broccolini on the side.