Shrimp and Avocado Salad
with lemon dill dressing
This quick vegetable-loaded entree salad is perfect for hot summer weather. You'll need only to turn on your stove for a couple minutes to saute walnuts and spiced shrimp that add warmth and flavor to the finished dish.
Lemon Dill Dressing:
- Dill, fresh - 1 tsp , chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Shrimp and Avocado Salad:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , diced
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Walnut pieces - 2 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse and pat dry.
- Make vinaigrette - Chop dill. Whisk together dill, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Shrimp - Toss shrimp with paprika, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and saute until toasted and fragrant, ~3 minutes. Set aside and return skillet to heat.
- Add cooking oil and then shrimp. Saute until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Form a bed of romaine lettuce and layer all other ingredients on top - shrimp, avocados, cucumbers, tomatoes and walnuts. Let everyone dress their own salad. Enjoy!