Avocado and Tomato Toast
with romaine salad with feta and chickpeas
Avocado toast is a perfect no-cook summer meal, especially when topped with fresh, ripe tomatoes. You'll need only to turn on your stove for a couple minutes to make golden spiced chickpeas that add a touch of warmth and flavor to the salad served on the side.
Avocado Toast with Tomatoes:
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , sliced
- Avocados - 2
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tsp
- Bread, sandwich - 4 slices
Romaine Salad with Feta and Chickpeas:
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cheese, feta - 3 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers / Lettuce - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans. Toss with paprika, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes (if using) and sugar. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice tomatoes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then beans. Saute until beans are warmed through and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Mash avocados with lemon juice and season with some salt and pepper.
- Toast bread. Spread mashed avocado on top of toast. Top with tomatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss cucumbers, lettuce, beans and cheese with vinaigrette.
- Serve avocado / tomato toast with salad on the side. Enjoy!