Squash and Asparagus Frittata
with balsamic arugula salad
Squash and asparagus add texture and flavor to this vegetarian variation of one of our favorite weeknight meals. A simple arugula salad tossed together while the frittata bakes makes this a colorful and quick weeknight meal.
Squash and Asparagus Frittata:
- Squash, any variety - 1 lb , cubed (like zucchini or yellow squash)
- Asparagus - 1/2 lb , ½” / 1.3cm pieces
- Eggs - 6
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Balsamic Arugula Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 4 oz
- Walnut pieces - 1 oz
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C degrees.
- Heat a 9” to 10” (22.5 cm to 25 cm) skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil and then squash and asparagus with a pinch of salt. Saute until vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in egg mixture. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- When frittata is nearly finished cooking, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add olive oil while whisking. Toss arugula and walnuts in dressing right before serving.
- Slice frittata and serve with salad on the side. Enjoy!