Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and asparagus / peas
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb, chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add coleslaw mix with some salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add shallots and continue cooking until shallots are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add peas, garlic and Italian seasoning and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over coleslaw mixture and saute to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add stock and then heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (reduce heat if needed to prevent sauce from reaching a hard boil). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed.
- Combine sauce with pasta and asparagus. Top with lemon zest, black pepper and cheese. Enjoy!
Excellent. Not heavy. Used asparagus and stir bought three cheese raviolis.0 Helpful
So delicious though a little decadent for the regular rotation. I look forward to making it again for a special occasion. I used a whole 12 oz. bag of cole slaw mix just to use it up and it was great.0 Helpful
One of my favorites! Love the addition of cabbage. Good way to get your veggies all on one bowl. :)0 Helpful
Popular, and good for leftovers0 Helpful
It was pretty good. Maybe a little too much shallot. There was a spiciness that was mildly off-putting, perhaps from the shallots. I thought the cabbage was an odd addition to the recipe, but I don't think it detracted at all, and I suppose it gave it some healthy fiber. I would absolutely make this again, but I would go with just on clove of shallot next time aroind.0 Helpful
Very good, remember to make this again and double the recipe. Added a little ham.0 Helpful