Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce
and asparagus / peas
The fresh flavors of spring really shine in this quick pasta with a creamy sauce. A version of this recipe was first featured in April 2016.
Spring Tortellini with Cream Sauce:
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Asparagus - 3/4 lb , chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Peas, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Pasta, tortellini - 12 oz (sub any fun pasta shape)
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Flour - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Chop into 1" / 2.5cm pieces.
- Peas - If using frozen peas, heat in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook according to package directions. In the last 3 minutes of cooking add asparagus. Continue cooking until both pasta and asparagus are al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, add coleslaw mix with some salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add shallots and continue cooking until shallots are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add peas, garlic and Italian seasoning and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over coleslaw mixture and saute to coat, about 30 seconds. While stirring, slowly add stock and then heavy cream. Continue stirring and bring to a low simmer (reduce heat if needed to prevent sauce from reaching a hard boil). Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed.
- Combine sauce with pasta and asparagus. Top with lemon zest, black pepper and cheese. Enjoy!