with tuna / walnuts / olives / green beans
Nicoise salad is a French favorite, and we love its combination of hearty ingredients and tart vinaigrette. While this version stays fairly true to the classic, feel free to sub in other proteins or vegetables that you have on hand.
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub red or white wine vinegar)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Walnuts - 2 oz , chopped
- Green beans - 8 oz , trimmed and chopped into 1” / 2.5cm pieces
- Tomatoes, medium - 1 , wedges
- Chives (opt) - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Tuna, canned (5 oz /142 g) - 2 cans , drained (look for Spanish or Italian varieties packed in olive oil)
- Olives, nicoise - 1/2 cup , drained and rinsed (sub seedless kalamata)
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Salad greens - 8 oz
- Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Walnuts / Green beans - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Boil green beans - Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and boil until tender, ~5 minutes (depending on thickness of the beans). Drain and rinse under cool water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Chop garlic. Whisk garlic with vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and honey. Add olive oil (portion for the vinaigrette) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Chives / Tuna / Olives - Prep as directed. (You can leave the olives whole or slice them if you’d prefer.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell, and then peel. Slice into quarters.
- Toss green beans with olive oil (the portion for the salad) and chives. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by topping salad greens with tuna, green beans, tomatoes, olives, eggs and walnuts. Finish with vinaigrette just before serving. Enjoy!