Caprese Portobello Burgers
with spinach and berry salad
We combine the best Italian appetizer with a portobello burger in this meal that practically shouts summer. Our members loved this combination so much last summer that we couldn’t resist bringing it back.
Caprese Portobello Burgers:
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4 , stems removed
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz , sliced
- Zucchini - 1 , peeled into ribbons
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1 , sliced
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
Spinach and Berry Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz , sliced
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Blueberries - 4 oz
- Almonds, shaved or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stem and use the side of a spoon to scrape out gills. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mozzarella / Zucchini / Tomatoes / Basil leaves - Prep as directed. For zucchini, just peel until you hit the seeds in the middle. Place zucchini ribbons in a colander and toss with a pinch or two of salt. The salt will draw out the moisture.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Give portobello mushrooms a light sprinkle of salt right before grilling.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Then move to indirect heat, close the grill and cook for another 3 to 4 more minutes, or until tender. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil, and then grill mushrooms for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes on the lower heat setting. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after mushrooms are done (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- Place mushrooms onto bottom buns. Top with zucchini ribbons, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.