with spinach and berry salad
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, ground (lean) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz, sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1, sliced
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Hamburger buns, gluten-free - 4
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz, sliced
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Blueberries - 4 oz
- Almonds, shaved or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Mix Tamari, garlic powder and pepper into ground beef and then form into 0.5” / 1.3cm thick patties and press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mozzarella / Tomatoes / Basil leaves - Prep as directed.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of salt right before grilling.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Then move patties to indirect heat, close the grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil, and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after patties are done (~2 minutes on the hot pan should do).
- Place patties onto bottom buns. Top with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.
Another delicious summer time hit at my house!0 Helpful
Used ground turkey and added oregano to the patties but otherwise super tasty!0 Helpful
These turned out great! I remember making them last year and being a little disappointed but I’m so glad I gave them another try (I think I used ground turkey last time and didn’t like how the flavours worked together. Beef was better). Made a balsamic aioli instead of just drizzling the vinegar.0 Helpful
We have made the Paleo version of this meal several times since trying it almost a year ago. The burgers are perfectly seasoned, and the flavor combined with the grilled portabellos, tomatoes, basil and balsamic is amazing. Although this is a paleo version, we often add a slice of sharp cheddar because it is so good. Also, love the easy balsamic dressing with the salad. Definitely, one of our favorites.0 Helpful
I love the flavor of these burgers. The salad is great, too.0 Helpful
I liked the salad, but didn't think the burgers were that exciting0 Helpful