with spinach and berry salad
We combine the best Italian appetizer with a classic American burger in this meal that practically shouts summer. Our members loved this combination so much last summer that we couldn’t resist bringing it back.
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Beef, ground (lean) - 1 1/4 lbs
- Mozzarella, fresh - 6 oz , sliced
- Tomatoes, beefsteak (or similar large tomato) - 1 , sliced
- Basil - 12 leaves
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Vinegar, balsamic - 6 tsp
Spinach and Berry Salad:
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Strawberries - 8 oz , sliced
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Blueberries - 4 oz
- Almonds, shaved or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and oil. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season beef - Mix soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper into ground beef and then form into 0.5” / 1.3cm thick patties and press thumb into center of the patty, forming a little crater. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Strawberries - Slice strawberries. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mozzarella / Tomatoes / Basil leaves - Prep as directed.
- Give patties a light sprinkle of salt right before grilling.
- If cooking on a grill: Heat up grill to 500F. Brush grates with some oil and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side over direct heat (i.e., over the flames). Then move patties to indirect heat, close the grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Buns can be toasted on the grill at the same time (~2 minutes on the hot grill should do).
- If cooking on stovetop: Heat up a grill pan to high heat. Brush with some oil, and then grill patties for 2 minutes on each side. Then lower heat to medium and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes for medium, and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done. Toast buns on the grill pan at the same time if there is room or wait till after patties are done (~2 minutes on the hot pan should do).
- Place patties onto bottom buns. Top with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar (it’s best to pour into a spoon and then drizzle from spoon). Close burgers with the top bun.
- Toss vinaigrette with baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries and almonds and enjoy with warm burger.