Udon Stir-Fry with Ground Turkey
Springy Udon noodles and lean ground turkey combine in a rich sauce to create a take-out worthy dish that comes together in a flash.
- Broccoli florets - 12 oz
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, diced
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Oyster sauce - 3 Tbsp (look for this in the international aisle; sub soy sauce)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Udon noodles, fresh or frozen - 12 oz (sub spaghetti)
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Broccoli / Shallots / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Store in separate containers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook broccoli - Place broccoli in microwave-safe dish. Cover broccoli with a damp paper towel, and steam on high until tender, 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine stock, brown sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine turkey with garlic powder, coriander, salt and red pepper flakes (if using). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add oil and then shallots and turkey. Saute, breaking turkey apart as it cooks, until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and bell peppers and saute for 1 minute more.
- Whisk cornstarch into water.
- Pour stir-fry sauce and cornstarch / water mixture over turkey and stir to combine. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes.
- Add noodles and stir to coat noodles in sauce.
- Divide stir-fry between bowls. Serve with lime wedges on the side and some extra red pepper flakes or hot sauce if you’d like. Enjoy!
Used 14oz of rice noodles, added a zucchini, used mixed stir-fry veggies rather than broccoli. Very good! 2nd time- GF vermicelli, 2 cups frozen veggies, 2 peppers and broccoli.0 Helpful
This was a big hit with my 7-yr-old daughter and her friends. I ended up using Soba noodles and adding in a zucchini. Also, I only had 8 oz of noodles on hand, but it seemed fine. Delish!0 Helpful
I need to make extra next time. My kids loved it!0 Helpful
Oh yum!! This was one of our favorite Stir Fry recipes! Think we loved the sauce the most...which of course I doubled. Definitely a re-do for sure!0 Helpful
Pretty solid, and I bet it's going to make great leftovers for lunch today!0 Helpful
My picky daughter liked "the meat"! Although truth be told, she's also liked other recipes with soy sauce/rice vinegar.0 Helpful