Mussels and Chorizo
with orange and mixed greens salad
We first featured this popular recipe when we took our members on a trip to Spain in August 2014. For many members it was their first time making mussels and most were pleasantly surprised by how easy and satisfying it is to prepare this shellfish at home.
Mussels and Chorizo:
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded - 1 1/2 lb
- Basil - 10 leaves , chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chorizo, raw - 8 oz (sub Italian sausage)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
Orange and Mixed Greens Salad:
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub red wine vinegar)
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oranges, medium - 2 , segments
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, shaved or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Dice shallots and place into a bowl. Whisk together vinegar, oil and honey. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chorizo and tomatoes to heated oil. Break up with a wooden spoon and saute for ~4 minutes.
- Add in mussels, stock and wine. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until mussels have opened up. If there are any that haven’t opened, just simply discard them.
- While mussels are cooking, segment oranges. Toss vinaigrette with greens, oranges and sliced almonds.
- Finish mussels and chorizo with a squeeze of lemon juice, and garnish with basil. Enjoy with salad on the side.