Mussels and Chorizo
with orange and mixed greens salad
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded - 1 1/2 lb
- Basil - 10 leaves, chopped
- Tomatoes, medium - 2, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chorizo, raw - 8 oz (sub Italian sausage)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Wine, white - 1/4 cup (sub stock)
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette, for serving - 8 oz
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp (sub red wine vinegar)
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oranges, medium - 2, segments
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Almonds, shaved or slivered - 1 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Dice shallots and place into a bowl. Whisk together vinegar, oil and honey. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Basil / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
- Heat a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and then chorizo and tomatoes to heated oil. Break up with a wooden spoon and saute for ~4 minutes.
- Add in mussels, stock and wine. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until mussels have opened up. If there are any that haven’t opened, just simply discard them.
- While mussels are cooking, segment oranges. Toss vinaigrette with greens, oranges and sliced almonds.
- Finish mussels and chorizo with a squeeze of lemon juice, and garnish with basil. Enjoy with torn up bread and salad on the side.
Messy. A lot of work on my plate for very little food.0 Helpful
Made this for my mussel loving mother in law, and then both me and my 8 year old daughter loved it too!!! Perfect recipe as-is. Easy and delicious.0 Helpful
I made with additions because I wanted more vegetables. Sautéed some minced garlic and an onion, then added a sliced summer squash, zucchini and some mushrooms when browning chorizo. Added 1 cup of wine instead of 1/4 and a slurry to thicken the sauce. Didn't add tomatoes till the end so they would't fall apart. I used the "seafood medley" from Costco's freezer section that has shrimp, mussels, calamari and scallops because it looked like it would be a fun addition. Family really liked it. Very flavorful.0 Helpful
Didn't have soyrizo so used soy mexican ground beef . I think the time was a little long so I pulled it out five minutes early. It was fine for a quick dinner, but nothing amazing. Still tasty and hubby liked it.0 Helpful
This was one of the most bland dishes I've had on CookSmarts. I won't be doing a vegetarian version of a dish with tofu again, I think.0 Helpful
Didn't have an open bottle of white, so I used an IPA I had in the fridge. Still tasted fantastic!0 Helpful